Followers

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dear Lord...

Tonight has been a rather sad night...this evening I received a call from someone who wanted to let me know that they are getting a divorce. This news has broken my heart. I am beginning to lose count of the number of people I know whose marriages have ended this way. Tonight as I was out jogging, it all sort of hit me; the broken hearts, the pain that these folks have been going through, the kids without both parents...and my lack of prayer for these situations.
I must confess, I've known that this particular couple was struggling...and I haven't been praying for them - in fact, I haven't even been thinking about it. Here are my brothers and sisters in Christ whose marriage I've known was falling apart and...I've not once got on my knees to beg God to heal their relationship...I haven't even bothered to call them.
Is this perhaps what is wrong with our churches and with us as Christians? I think that I may be embodying the very thing that is holding back revival - apathy...because really, if I really cared...I mean if I REALLY cared about their marriage and about them as people, shouldn't I be on my knees every day in prayer for them?! Shouldn't I be begging the God of the universe to heal their relationship? Shouldn't I be calling and encouraging them to hold the course? In my heart I really feel that I care about these people...and yet, my actions seem to say otherwise...
The bible speaks of Christ's disciples loving each other and the fact that our love for each other will be a sign to the world that we are His disciples...If I really love my brothers and sisters in Christ, I'd better start getting on my knees for them...I'd better start begging my God to intercede in their lives and in their marriages. He is the great healer not only of physical wounds but of emotional and relational wounds as well...

Dear Lord...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heart aches as you wrote and I am reading this....I remember all too well the day my life fell apart due to divorce and I can say I am a much stronger person now because of the love of my "brothers & sisters" and GOD's Amazing love. You have put a challenge to us all and I accept that and will be much more alert to the Holy Spirit and His "poke" of leading me to others.
    May you be encouraged and blessed today,
    A Life that has been changed,
    Hugs, Denise C :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robby
    Isn't it interesting that we go through a period of so many weddings, only to find out that divorce for some of them comes so soon after? Upon return from Mike's recent deployment, we witnessed a failed marriage, an affair, and a broken engagement...all pilots from our very small squadron. Not to mention my own parents' recent divorce. It's been a rough year. Keep praying, brother, and I will pray for encouragement for you this week.

    "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen" Eph 3:20-21

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete